Probably in response to this craziness, worker and blogger Wan Xiaodao has written a list of rules for corrupt officials. He’s done the research — each rule comes with a case study we’ve left untranslated for now — so if you want to be a corrupt official in China and get away with it, read these rules carefully:
How to be a Great Corrupt Official
- You must not write a diary.
- You must not curse in public.
- You must not smoke expensive cigarettes or wear expensive clothes in public.
- You must not live in a great house or drive a great car.
- You can’t use public vehicles to go to entertainment areas or to travel
- You can’t support/have a mistress.
- You can’t train a “second generation” of officials [to take your place]
- You must have [supporters] backstage.
There you have it. Personally though, I think these rules take almost all the fun out of being a corrupt official. After all, what’s the use of all that dirty money if you can’t flaunt it in public?